Friday, September 14, 2012

I’ll be Spinning an Old 45 ...I’m not talking about a vinyl record

On March 20th I wrote this blog.
It was the first day of spring, the day I was sprung.
I’m no more a spring pup
It's another birthday that's come up
Another year older, another age saying ‘sup?

“How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?”  ~Satchel Paige


Every day I take info from customers. Several times a day I have to ask for names, and birth day, month, and year. This always leads to casual chit-chat that makes it easier to talk to them as it turns back to business.

1985. “Really? That’s the year I graduated high school. It’s clear 2 great things came into the world in ‘85; me out of high school, and you out of your mother. It was a good year for all.” They always laugh when I say that. I’ve said it a hundred times to a hundred different young folks so I’m bored hearing myself say it, but it always gets a chuckle out of them.

1987. “Oh yeah? That’s when I moved to Florida when I was 20. Hard to believe it’s been so long.” They always laugh. It doesn’t seem funny at first, but somehow it nearly always helps to break the ice.

1988. “Oh yeah? Wow, that’s when I went to college. Hard to believe so many years have passed.”

1990. “Isn’t that something? That’s the year I graduated college. I’d say that either makes me very old or you very young. But I don’t feel old so that means you must be very young.”

“Age is a question of mind over matter.  If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.”  ~Leroy "Satchel" Paige

It’s true; I don’t feel old. I don’t have the body of a 20 year old anymore, but I don’t feel like a 45 year old either. Then again, age is only a factor of the mind. We are only as old as we let ourselves feel. I sure don’t have the same body I had when I was in my 20’s, but as I look at the world through my eyes, I don’t “feel” my age. I don’t think like a 45 year old. Rather, I don’t think like I always thought a 45 year old would be thinking.

I must be in denial, because it really is difficult to believe that I’m 45. When I was younger, in my teens, in my 20’s, even in my early 30’s, I always thought of the 40-years as old. Not old in a gray hair and walking with a cane type of old, but old in that you’d have to be serious all the time, that you had to act and think a certain way, that you couldn’t goof off, that you couldn’t enjoy the things you did when you were younger. But here I am about to turn 45 and I sure don’t think like a “45 year old”. This is not the way, on a mental and emotional state of mind, I thought 40+ would feel like.

I’m a Toys ‘r Us kid and I don’t wanna grow up.

My mother had an aunt, my great-aunt now gone, who was still going out dancing into her eighties. Mind you, I’m not talking about partying in South Beach nightclubs till 4AM, but she was still out in clubs dancing, defying all expectations of how an 80+ year old was limited to behaving.

“Look I so old to young eyes? When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not!” ~Yoda

I know a woman who turned 50 last year—she sure doesn’t look it. She was still into the music scene, hanging out in South Beach clubs, dancing and living it up, friends with many in their late 20’s and early to middle 30’s whom I too have felt younger hanging out with in the years passed. When she turned 50—I have to add, she’s a fox—she went dirt-bike riding, among other new and exciting things; she even went sky-diving for the first time in her life! She was living it up, not accepting or allowing her age to stop or slow her. She was more energetic and living a more dynamic life than many I’ve known, including me, in their twenties and thirties! I’m not sure if those were things she had on her Bucket List, or just things she chose to enjoy on impulse, but she has been living a state of mind to be envied, of which I’ve told her some time ago.

“Be on the alert to recognize your prime at whatever time of your life it may occur.”  ~Muriel Spark


I live about a half hour north of Miami. I have had a lot of people I’m friendly with down there who are into the music scene, the nightclubs, the night life. Some are DJs who play the clubs; more are into the music and dance scene. They were people in their late 20’s when I first met them, early to middle 30’s now; some in their late 30’s, a few even my age and slightly over. I made their acquaintances via a nightlife message board I had gotten involved with, and the first time meeting all of them was a great experience each time. Many of those are mutual friends of the 50’s fox mentioned above. When I started hanging out down there in my late 30’s I was out of my element. I’ve been to many clubs in my early 20s, rock clubs, bars, some dance clubs though not often of those, but it had been a long time for me. Tony Manero I am not, nor have ever been! I wound up hanging out in those clubs in South Beach a lot, often till the late hours of the early morning, sometimes not coming home till the sunrise. To be honest, hanging out with those late 20’s early 30’s friends in that scene, I felt young again. I felt alive, energized. Yeah, I was out of my element, and I loved where I was.

“Man, you were looking good, chatting it up with people who wanted to meet you (from the message board), getting tipsy, even dancing with three different women (from the message board)…I don’t believe you were out of your element at all—you fit in perfectly.” ~a comment from one of my (message board) friends one day after my meeting several new people (from the message board) at a particular club event in a club called, interestingly enough, "Shine". That same friend made note of my past comments that I don’t dance, nor know how to dance, nor feel comfortable dancing, but he saw me dancing with three different women (from the message board). Wow, how drunk had they gotten me to get me out on the floor???

I’ve been away from there for a long time; haven’t been down there in at least 3 years if not more. I miss it, but I’ve been very busy—didn’t have a car for a while…a very long while; didn’t have money for a while, a long while, etc. Plus other reasons. Excuses. No, in some cases legitimate reasons. And some excuses. But being in that scene, out of my element, I felt young again. No, I was young again. I still am, from a certain point of view, I just don’t look it.

Do you know where I am very much in my element? At Star Wars conventions. I’ve had such a blast at those events. Star Wars definitely brings out the kid in many, and there, I was young again. God, I can’t wait to go back. I sure hope I can make it back to Orlando in August 2012 for Star Wars: Celebration VI.

So now I am 45. I need reminders of how young I still am. And this blog, this is the beginning of the journey back.

“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years.  We grow old by deserting our ideals.  Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”  ~Samuel Ullman

“A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.”  ~John Barrymore
Unfortunately, that’s where I am today. It’s something I have to work on, but God knows it’s not easy. Don’t let my inspiring blogs fool you. It’s not easy for me, not at all.



“You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair.”  ~Douglas MacArthur

“Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.”  ~Chili Davis

“All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.” ~Pablo Picasso

“My Lego city was an explosion of childhood creativity, firing out with passion in my adult years.” ~inSpireShine

That’s what I need, I need more passion in my life. And enthusiasm. And inspiration. And motivation. And sushi. Yeah, a lot more sushi. Have I ever mentioned how much I love sushi?


And one final quote merely for kicks and giggles:
“Grandchildren don't make a man feel old; it's the knowledge that he's married to a grandmother.”  ~G. Norman Collie  

No comments:

Post a Comment